“The Courthouse” was designed by Dublin born architect William Caldbeck (c1820-1872). During his career he was renowned for designing many courthouses, churches and banks throughout Ireland. Oughterard Courthouse was built in the 1840’s and was in use as a District Court and local polling station until 2008 when Judge Mary Fahy decided she could no longer work in such poor conditions: puddles of water on the floor and no heating!
With the support of local community and assistance of LEADER funding, major restoration works were undertaken in 2012-14. We now have an attractive contemporary, open space suitable for the purpose of Cultural, Arts, performing Arts and educational purposes.